Thursday, February 10, 2011

How did the Song dynasty improve the government of China?


The Song dynasty's greatest accomplishment when it comes to the government of China was to reunite China again after the Tang dynasty left the civilization crumbling to pieces.  (Up until the Tang period of decline, they were great rulers.)It must have been hard to corral all of the citizens back to their home. I for one, would not have had such great leadership skills. I never feel comfortable when I have to lead large groups, I would much rather go along with other people's thoughts.  Even though, the emperors of Song, never quite grasped the firm control of the previous Tang emperors, they were certainly not a chinese dynasty to be forgotten.
The Songs transformed the government through several trading expeditions at sea. They traveled back and forth on the waterways and boats built for this purpose. Citizens of Song were experts at creating and trading pottery and porcelain art. Funny story: Pottery is not my forte. The last time I made pottery was in art class in fifth grade when we were sculpting clay. When mine was finished, the art teacher laughed at the sight of it. Later that day, I "accidentally" dropped it on the tile just so I wouldn't have to get laughed at by my mom too. The point of the story being that I'm glad I don't make pottery for the song. The emperors would probably have me sent away to somewhere I would be of use.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for the information I never would have guessed any of it. I guess a government based on trading is relativly good for building relations throughout Asia. Have you ever tried to practice with clay? You should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm not that great at art either. Just ask Mrs. M-G. Fortunately I can maintain an A or A- in that class. I really did not know any of this about the Song dynasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's cool that the government became strong trough trade just like other civilizations we learned about in social studdies. Do you know who the Song dynasty traded with? I am also very bad at pottery, but I think it's fun to make stuff with clay rather than drawing it.

    ReplyDelete